Hoffman's RPG Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for my RPG Campaign(s)

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Modified Ship Rules

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric
Admin

Modified Ship Rules Empty
PostSubject: Modified Ship Rules   Modified Ship Rules EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Here is where I will post my modified ship rules as we go. I am not completely satisfied with the rules as written, some are too complicated and some to simplistic.

Cannon

The types of Cannon presented in the Skull and Bones sourcebook are confusing and inaccurate. Cannon in this time period were rated by the weight of the shot they fired. Since the campaign takes place in pre-industrial times, cannon were not standardized from Nation to Nation, Navy to Navy or even on the same ship. To simplify this I will be using the standard British system of the time with some cannon sizes left out for gameplay simplicity. The new Cannon types and their stats are as follows:

Weight Damage Range Increment
6 lb. 1d2 100 ft.
12 lb. 1d4 100 ft.
18 lb. 2d4 150 ft.
24 lb. 3d4 150 ft.
32 lb. 4d4 200 ft.

More poweful cannon exist but they are rare and are usually only to be found as fixed emplacements in forts, protecting very valuable ports or cities.
Back to top Go down
https://hoffmansbattletech.forumotion.com
Eric
Admin

Modified Ship Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modified Ship Rules   Modified Ship Rules EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm

I have changed the basic stats for ships from what is listed in the sourcebook and Corsair d20. I've added some ships that were ommited and balanced the ships better. After reviewing the rules in the sourcebook, ship to ship battles would have been bloody and quick, which is not historically accurate. It is, after all, very hard to sink a wooden sailing ship. Even if you puncture the hull with multiple holes, the things are still made of wood, which floats all on it's own.

Note that these values are, for the most part, the maximum numbers for stock ships. Most merchant ships do not sail with a full crew or armament as it is expensive and thus reduces profits. Even warships in the Caribbean, being far from friendly shipwrights and Navy bases, are sometimes forced to make do without.

Modified Ship Rules Ships
Back to top Go down
https://hoffmansbattletech.forumotion.com

Modified Ship Rules
Page 1 of 1